FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, October 14, 2022
GLENS FALLS, NY– Today,The Washington Free Beaconreported that the campaign staff for Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli, was caught on tape during a campaign strategy session confirming that Castelli is “for gun control.” This is the second time in a week that someone associated with the Castelli campaign has confirmed that no matter what this Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie might claim publicly to get elected, his actual beliefs are in support of a gun ban.
According toThe Washington Free Beacon:
“In a Zoom call this week, a Castelli campaign staffertolda group of volunteers that the Democrat is “for gun control,” including bans on AR-15s and so-called assault rifles. It is the second time this week that a Castelli supporter has suggested he supports curbs on gun ownership.“The issue of guns is an incredibly tricky one in this upstate district. I know a lot of us would prefer a stronger stance on guns, but he would absolutely lose if he took that stance,” Jennifer Mann, the chairwoman of the Brunswick Democratic Committee, told supporters in an email this week.”
“Those remarks contradict Castelli’s public claims that he opposes gun bans.”
“It marks a pattern in New York’s 21st district, one of the most conservative in the state. In 2018, Democratic candidate Tedra Cobb privately assured a teenage supporter she supports gun bans but could not say so publicly because she would lose her race.”
“While Castelli has repeatedly said he supports the Second Amendment and owns guns himself,he attended a rally in June organized by March for Our Lives, a national student group that supports a variety of gun control measures, including a national registry for gun sales, a ban on gun ownership under the age of 21, limits on how many firearms an individual can purchase each month, and regulations on how Americans store their guns. He expressed support at the rally for a bill signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul (D.) that bans the sale of some guns to people under 21 and strengthened so-called Red Flag laws.”
“To pass legislation to actually address this challenge. Right now, there’s urgency in order to make sure we’re in a position to keep our kids and our community safe,” hesaid.
“Castelli and his campaign did not respond to requests for comment.”
Read the fullWashington Free BeaconstoryHERE.
Senior Advisor to Congresswoman Elise Stefanik, Alex DeGrasse, stated:
“This video, combined with the leaked email are confirmation of what we have been saying for months and what Upstate New York and North Country voters have known all along: That this Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie does not share our values, and if elected to Congress, he would shred our Second Amendment rights. There is no doubt that this Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie fully supports a gun ban. His staff, supporters, and Upstate New York and North Country voters know it. This Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie is a true enemy of gun owners’ rights which is why he earned an “F” and will be soundly defeated by Congresswoman Elise Stefanik in November.”
Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli’s history of not supporting Upstate New York and the North Country’s Second Amendment rights:
- In a June interview withWWNYTV,Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli supported Governor Kathy Hochul’s new anti-Second Amendment legislation.
- “Although not all New Yorkers agree with Governor Hochul’s new legislation, candidate for the state’s 21st congressional district Matt Castelli says that he could no longer just sit on the sidelines and do nothing in regard to what has been happening across the country.” “To pass legislation to actually address this challenge. Right now, there’s urgency in order to make sure we’re in a position to keep our kids and our community safe,” said Castelli.
- During aNovember 30, 2021interview, Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli said that he would look at a proposed assault weapons ban in Congress.
- “Asked directly if he would support a ban on assault weapons, Castelli said, “We can all agree that there are certain weapons that belong on the battlefield, and not necessarily in our communities…I will take a close look at any proposal that comes before congress, especially when it deals with guns…”
- On August 1, 2022, Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli said that he would look at an assault weapons ban in Congress when asked during an interview withNCPR.
- QUESTION: “Do you support an assault rifle ban?”
- CASTELLI: “I am happy to look at any kind of legislation. I think we need, those of us who support the second amendment and lawful gun owners, at the table when we’re talking about reducing gun violence in our communities and I think the best way we do that is really focusing on any firearm being kept out of the hands of someone who is going to do themselves and others harm.”
- On June 11, 2022, Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli said he was “proud to join” a #MarchForOurLives event in Potsdam andSaranac Lake.
- The organization March For Our Lives,which organized the events Castelli attended, fully supports an assault weapons ban and various other anti-Second Amendment policies, including a national gun registry.
- According to theMarch For Our Lives website, they support “a national licensing and registry system that promotes responsible gun ownership; a ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and other weapons of war; policies to disarm gun owners who pose a harm risk; and a national gun buy-back program to reduce the estimated 265–393 million firearms in circulation by at least 30%.”
- Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli wholeheartedly supported recent gun legislation that was signed into law by Joe Biden, which made gun owners “second-class citizens. Castelli called this legislation a “common sense solution.”
- Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli said that he supported “robust red flag” laws during an interview withNorth Country Public Radioon August 19, 2022.
- Far Left Downstate Democrat from Poughkeepsie Matt Castelli’s anti-Second Amendment views earned him an “F” rating from the National Rifle Association the lowest in North Country history.
- “Castelli, meanwhile, was given an “F,” which the NRA says indicates an “extremely anti-gun”–Watertown Daily Times 9/21/22
- “Those who are given F ratings are defined as a “true enemy of gun owners’ rights. A consistent anti-gun candidate who always opposes gun owners’ rights and/or actively leads anti-gun legislative efforts, or sponsors anti-gun legislation.” –Watertown Daily Times 9/18/22